Commissioned by Henry T. Segerstrom in 1973, Four Lines Oblique Gyratory – Square IV uses air currents to move this perfectly balanced, 24-foot-high kinetic sculpture. Elegantly understated and easy to miss because of its thin blades and reflective quality, the sculpture enchants in each moment of observation, as it constantly changes its structural composition with the slightest force of nature.
Rickey’s early sculpture varied from whimsical pieces of painted and stainless steel to purely formal geometric shapes. His most progressive work surfaced between 1957 and 1962 when he reduced his forms to simple geometric shapes of stainless steel, eliminated color, and enlarged the scale. At the exhibition Documenta III (1964), Rickey established an international reputation in the field of kinetic sculpture that was distinguished by non-motorized movement, taking the wind as his partner.